Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Dealing with grief- 10 personal tips that helped me during the grieving process

Grief is defined as “deep sorrow, especially that caused by someone's death.” If you or someone you know has dealt with grief you know that it is more than sorrow.  Everyone deals with grief in a different way however everyone does go through the grieving process.

Five stages of grief: (Article explaining the stages more     deeply if you're Interested

1.Denial

2.Anger

3.Bargaining

4.Depression

5.Acceptance

 

(Some people argue that they are seven stages of grief in the seven-step model shock comes first and testing is between the testing stage is between depression and acceptance)

 

A few years ago, my best friend, Melanie Lawrence passed away at the age of twenty-two. Her death was sudden and a shock. I had a really hard time coping with her loss. Over the years handling the pain has gotten easier but it is still there. I dealt with so many emotions trying to accept what happened.



I wish I had all the answers but I will share somethings that did help me with the grief process.

 

1. Allow yourself to feel. People mean well and they will tell you to “stay strong”. I feel like staying strong is meant for the acceptance phase. You have to allow yourself to cry, scream, feel those feelings.

2. Reach out for help. I wasn’t able to handle all of the feelings on my own, I started talking with a therapist and even went on medication for a year after her death. The healing process isn’t a quick one and it is okay to reach out to family, friends and professionals.

3. Honor their memory. You can honor their memory by just thinking about them or doing something every year for them. Every year on Melanie’s birthday I go outside and talk directly to her looking up at the sky. I also take her favorite bottle of wine and pour it out on the grass for her. This does cause me to cry every year but it does feel good to honor her memory.

4. Make sure you are taking care of your own needs. Those feelings can sometimes be so intense that you can forget to take care of yourself. Make sure you are still drinking water, eating meals and sleeping.

5. You don’t owe anyone anything. Melanie died at such a young age and so suddenly that people did have questions, I received multiple messages everyday from people I didn’t even know asking me what happened, at first I felt obligated to tell people what happened but it became so overwhelming that I talked to my therapist about it and she told me “You don’t owe any of those people an explanation. You don’t have to message them back, the really important people will know what happened, you are not responsible for letting everyone know.”

6. Your feelings are normal and you’re not alone. Although grief can push us to such a dark place that it feels like insanity, those feelings are part of the grief process, you are not going crazy. It is important to reach out to other people you are not alone in this process, there are people who care about your feelings and will help in any way they can.

7. It comes in waves. Somedays are better than others dealing with grief and somedays those feelings hit you so hard you feel like you’ll never come up again. Remember when dealing with the bad days that you won’t feel like this forever.

8. You are more than your trauma. You will survive this pain; you will feel whole again someday. Your grief is a part of you but not all of you. Keep going, keep trying.

9. They wouldn’t want you to feel this way. Your loved one wouldn’t want you to feel so depressed that you couldn’t eat, they would want you to enjoy your life. This also belongs in the acceptance phase and is more easily said than done.

10.They are watching over you. If you believe in this type of thinking there is some comfort in thinking that your loved one is watching over you and protecting you. It also brings me some comfort thinking they are watching over me because it’s like they didn’t truly leave.

 

I hope that my tips can help someone, and remember if you are fortunate enough to have never dealt with grief personally to be kind, and offer help to others who are dealing with grief. I didn’t promise that I had the answers and the last thing I wanted to do with this list was offend anyone, I wish you luck on your journey.  

 

I found an interesting video that talks about five things you didn’t know about grief.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dealing with grief- 10 personal tips that helped me during the grieving process

Grief is defined as “ deep sorrow, especially that caused by someone's death. ” If you or someone you know has dealt with grief you know...